Our tester also had the Safety and Security package, a $645 bundle that includes blind spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert, which warns you when you’re backing out of a parking spot that someone is approaching from either side. Try it and you’ll not want to go without it.
Spend another $1,245 for Navigation and Uconnect which in addition the 6.5-inch screen and easy to use nav-traffic system includes SiriusXM and HD radio.
The MySky roof adds $1,495, but hey, it’s a Jeep and it should be open air, right. Except in the winter, and when closed, the roof acted like a solid overhead. Which is should because the panels are, natch, solid.
There’s more available, including lane departure warning with lane keeping assist, but our test model didn’t have it.
With a base price of $26,995 for the all-wheel drive 2016 Jeep Renegade Limited, the bottom line for our tester came to a healthy $31,500 with all the goodies added. That seems like a lot for a Jeep’s baby SUV, but while it might not be fully recouped at trade-in time, it’s all good stuff to have in that interim between buy and sell.
A peculiarity of the 2016 Jeep Renegade is that it’s made in Melfi, Italy, along with the Fiat 500X, good for an answer a trivia question. The shortcomings of the Jeep Renegade include being narrow, which not only squeezes any attempt at three across in the back seat but also allows the Renegade to lean more in corners. But for a get-to-the-slopes-mobile, the Renegade fills the bill for a bill that, all things added, isn’t really that big.
And if that intrigues, amuses and impresses you, And we’ll see if you leave us intrigued, amused and impressed by your skill on the slopes.
2016 Jeep Renegade Limited 4×4, price and key specifications as tested
Body style/layout: 5-door SUV, front engine/all-wheel drive
Base price: $26,995
Price as tested: $31,500
- Type: 2.4-liter 16-valve DOHC I-4
- Displacement, cc: 2360
- Block/head material: aluminum/aluminum
- Compression ratio: 10.0:1
- Horsepower: 180 @ 6,400 rpm
- Torque: 175 @ 3900 rpm
- Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
- Fuel economy, EPA est.: 21/29 mpg city/highway
- Fuel economy, observed: 21.4 mpg
Transmission: 9-speed automatic
- Suspension, front/rear: MacPherson strut / Chapman strut
- Wheels: 18-inch alloy
- Tires: 225/55R18
- Brakes: 4-wheel disc; 12.0-inch dia. front/10.95-inch dia. rear
- Steering: electric power rack-and-pinion
- Turning circle: 36.3 ft.
- Wheelbase: 101.2 in.
- Length: 166.6 in.
- Height: 66.5 in.
- Width: 74.2 in. (with folded rearview mirrors)
- Curb weight: 3,327 lbs
- Trunk volume: 18.5/50.8 cu. ft.
- Fuel tank: 12.7 gal.
- Airbags: Front, front side, driver knee, side curtain
- Anti-lock brakes: Yes Traction control: Yes Stability control: Yes Electronic brake-force distribution: Yes Brake assist: Yes
- Other: Rear-view camera, blind-spot monitor, rear park warning, rear cross-traffic alert, Electronic roll mitigation, hill start assist, trailer sway control
Warranty: 3-year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper; 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain; 3-year/unlimited-mile corrosion (outer panel 5-year/unlimited-mile), 24-hour towing