And speaking of fuel economy, over a full tank of gas in cold but not frigid temperatures, and mixed driving in a hilly, fuel-use intensive venue, we recorded 28.3 mpg. As they say, your mileage may vary. In this case, it will probably be better.
Our 2016 Mazda Mazda6 Touring is well equipped for its as-equipped $25,265 bottom line, and that with only a handful of options. It’s not entry-level luxury, but if you don’t tell, we won’t either.
We still would like more power, but that’s just us being us. Nevertheless, for hardcore manual shift enthusiasts, it will be hard to find a mid-priced mid-size sedan with a better combination of thrift, comfort and sport car attitude. If that’s what you want, you can get it. Even you, Mr. Jagger.
2016 Mazda Mazda6 Touring, price and key specifications as tested
Body style/layout: 4-door sedan, front engine/front-wheel drive
Base price: $23,945
Price as tested: $25,265
- Type: 2.5-liter 16-valve DOHC I-4
- Displacement, cc: 2488
- Block/head material: aluminum/aluminum
- Compression ratio: 13.0:1
- Horsepower: 184 @ 5700 rpm
- Torque: 185 @ 3250 rpm
- Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
- Fuel economy, EPA est.: 25/37 mpg city/highway
- Fuel economy, observed: 28.3 mpg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
- Suspension, front/rear: MacPherson strut / multilink
- Wheels: 1 9×7.5-inch alloy
- Tires: 255/45R19
- Brakes: 4-wheel disc; 11.7-inch dia. front/10.9-inch dia. rear
- Steering: electric power rack-and-pinion, speed sensing
- Turning circle: 36.7 ft.
- Wheelbase: 111.4 in.
- Length: 191.5 in.
- Height: 57.1 in.
- Width: 72.4 in.
- Curb weight: 3,183 lbs
- Trunk volume: 14.8 cu. ft.
- Fuel tank: 16.4 gal.
- Airbags: Front, front side, side curtain
- Anti-lock brakes: Yes Traction control: Yes Stability control: Yes Electronic brake-force distribution: Yes Brake assist: Yes
- Other: blind spot warning, rear cross-traffic alert, hill launch assist
Warranty: 3-year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper; 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain; 24-hour roadside assistance