Our test 2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD came without options, and with delivery included the bottom line comes to and Adam’s apple swallowing $40,595. And remember, this isn’t the most expensive trim level either. It’s also a long way up from the $24,900 “from” price. We doubt that many will go out the door at that price, but we have to say it, $40k is still a lot to countenance for a Kia.
Yet the Kia Sorento SX will do what the fancier branded competition will, including that epiphany-producing quiet. It just needs a diver who can see beyond the badge.
Use the CarBuzzard car review index for more CarBuzzard takes on the Kia Sorento.
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD, price and key specifications as tested
Body style/layout: 5-door crossover vehicle, front engine/all-wheel drive
Base price: $39,700
Price as tested: $40,595
- Type: 3.3-liter 16-valve DOHC V-6
- Displacement, cc: 3342
- Block/head material: aluminum/aluminum
- Compression ratio: 11.5:1
- Horsepower: 290 @ 6,400 rpm
- Torque: 252 @ 5300 rpm
- Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
- Fuel economy, EPA est.: 17/23 mpg city/highway
- Fuel economy, observed: 19.5 mpg
Transmission: 6-speed automatic w/ manual mode
- Suspension, front/rear: MacPherson strut / multilink
- Wheels: 17 x 7.0-inch alloy
- Tires: 235/65R20
- Brakes: 4-wheel disc; 12.6-inch dia. front/12.1-inch dia. rear
- Steering: electric power rack-and-pinion
- Turning circle: 36.4 ft.
- Wheelbase: 109.4 in.
- Length: 187.4 in.
- Height: 66.3 in.
- Width: 74.4 in.
- Curb weight, min/max: 4,101/4343 lbs
- Cargo volume, min/max: 73.0/11.3 cu. ft.
- Fuel tank: 18.8 gal.
- Airbags: Front, front side head/torso
- Anti-lock brakes: Yes Traction control: Yes Stability control: Yes Electronic brake-force distribution: Yes Brake assist: Yes
- Other: rollover sensor, hill-start assist
Warranty: 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper; 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain; 5-year/60,000-mile roadside assistance