Don’t look—or listen—for the ProMaster to be a prime audio venue, on the other hand, particularly on the highway, especially non-upfitted, like ours. On the highway the ProMaster sounded like a Quonset hut during a hurricane. And road noise? Probably. Who can tell?
On the other hand, the Ram ProMaster was stable on the highway, even in a crosswind, and while it’s not the sort of thing you’d take to the race track, if moderately moderate in driving, it’s not scary in corners and curves, thanks to relatively low center of gravity. Of course, how it’s loaded can make change
The Ram ProMaster is anything but lovely. The black plastic front fascia looks more industrial than beauty queen, which is as it should be. It’s hard to chip paint where there isn’t paint to chip. And as for looking “like the box it came in,” it really looks more like the box the boxes came in.
In short, the Ram ProMaster isn’t what you buy with the money you earned. It’s about earning the money to buy things with. Our test model, in its size and with the V-6/6-speed automatic transmission, had a base price of $29,520. As equipped, the bottom line was $33,820. And then of course there’s the matter of cargo handling, or shelving or whatever one trade or profession requires. But at least one plumber who was over, under and around our test ProMaster gave it his seal of approval.
Yet we were glad to turn it in after a week of driving. Even plumbers don’t date in their work vans.
Did we mention it has clearance lights…?
2014 Ram ProMaster Cargo 136” WB Low Roof, price and key specifications as tested
Body style/layout: 2-passenger door commercial van, front engine/front-wheel drive
Base price: $29,520
Price as tested: $33,820
- Type: 3.6-liter 24-valve DOHC V-6
- Displacement, cc: 3604
- Block/head material: aluminum/aluminum
- Compression ratio: 10.2:1
- Horsepower: 280 @ 6,400 rpm
- Torque: 260 @ 4175 rpm
- Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
- Fuel economy, EPA est.: n.a. mpg city/highway
- Fuel economy, observed:19.2 mpg
Transmission: 6-speed automatic
- Suspension, front/rear: MacPherson strut / solid axle on leaf springs
- Wheels: 16-inch steel
- Tires: 225/75R16
- Brakes: 4-wheel disc; 11.8-inch dia. front/11.0-inch dia. rear
- Steering: power rack-and-pinion
- Turning circle: 40.7 ft.
- Wheelbase: 136.0 in.
- Length: 213.1 in.
- Height: 90.0 in.
- Width: 82.7 in.
- Curb weight: 4,698 lbs
- Trunk volume: 353.0 cu. ft.
- Fuel tank: 24.0 gal.
- Airbags: Front, front side, side curtain
- Anti-lock brakes: Yes Traction control: Yes Stability control: Yes Electronic brake-force distribution: No Brake assist: Yes
- Other: trailer sway control, rear park assist, rear camera, hill start assist, brake-throttle override, hydraulic boost compensation,
Warranty: 3-year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper; 5-year/100,000 mile powertrain; 5-year/100,000-mile roadside assistance
© John Matras Media LLC