The Chevy SS isn’t, well, the most dramatic design on the road, and only those who know what it is will appreciate it. Appreciate? Heads swivel like kissing dolls on a cuckoo clock. The SS is at once bland and exotic. Our tester was Red Hot 2. If it were one of the other colors—Silver Ice Metallic, Phantom Black, Heron White and Mystic Green Metallic—it could easily go unnoticed. Except for that throbbing exhaust note.
The 2014 Chevrolet SS comes one way. No options. But it’s well equipped, as it should, for a bottom line, including the non-optional gas guzzler tax option, of $45,770. A partial list of standard features includes color, in-dashboard touch screen with Chevrolet MyLink and standard navigation system (with some of the crispest graphic we’ve seen), Bose 220-watt nine-speaker sound system, color head-up display and color driver information center, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated and ventilated front seats, keyless access and push-button start, and remote start. The interior is any color you want, as long as it’s black. When your supply line comes all the way from Australia, it’s best to keep the variations limited. And that Chevrolet does with the SS.
We suspect that the other export from Australia has its fans, especially after seeing the billboards around Las Vegas. This particular writer, however, finds the 2014 Chevrolet SS much more to his liking. And his liking, by the way, is liking it a lot.
2014 Chevrolet SS, price and key specifications as tested
Body style/layout: 4-door sedan, front engine/all-wheel drive
Base price: $43,745
Price as tested: $45,770
- Type: 6.2-liter 16-valve OHV V-8
- Displacement, cc: 6162
- Block/head material: aluminum/aluminum
- Compression ratio: 10.7:1
- Horsepower: 415 @ 5900 rpm
- Torque: 415 @ 4600 rpm
- Recommended fuel: premium unleaded
- Fuel economy, EPA est.: 14/21 mpg city/highway
- Fuel economy, observed: 19.1 mpg (highway, local driving in hilly area)
Transmission: 6-speed automatic, paddle-shift
- Suspension, front/rear: MacPherson strut / multilink
- Wheels: 19 x 8.5 / 19 x 9.0-inch alloy
- Tires: 245/40ZR19 / 275/35ZR19
- Brakes: 4-wheel disc; 14.0-inch dia. front/12.7-inch dia. rear
- Steering: electric power rack-and-pinion
- Turning circle: 37.4 ft.
- Wheelbase: 114.8 in.
- Length: 195.5 in.
- Height: 57.9 in.
- Width: 74.7 in.
- Curb weight: 3,795 lbs
- Trunk volume: 16.4 cu. ft.
- Fuel tank: 18.8 gal.
- Airbags: Front, front side, side curtain, rear side
- Anti-lock brakes: Yes Traction control: Yes Stability control: Yes Electronic brake-force distribution: Yes Brake assist: Yes
- Other: Lane departure warning, rear vision camera, rear cross-traffic alert, forward collision alert, lane departure warning, blind spot warning,
Warranty: 3-year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper; 5-year/100,000 mile powertrain; 3-year/36,000-mile corrosion; 6-year/100,000-mile perforation, 2-year/24,000-mile scheduled service, 5-year/100,000-mile roadside assistance