2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SEL, price and key specifications as tested
Body style/layout: 4-door sedan, front engine/front-wheel drive
Base price: $30,425
Standard features: hill hold control; multi-function steering wheel with audio and phone controls; keyless remote, heated power mirrors, automatic headlights, 60/40 folding seatbacks, heated front seats with driver and front passenger 8-way power adjustment, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, leather-wrapped handbrake and shift knob, HomeLink, Radio Navigation System with SiriusXM NavTraffic, Fender Premium Audio System, sport seats with leather and Dinamica inserts, proximity key with pushbutton start (plus remote start), fog lights with cornering illumination: std.
Price as tested: $31,220
- Type: 2.5-liter 20-valve DOHC inline-5
- Displacement, cc: 2480
- Block/head material: cast iron/aluminum
- Compression ratio: 9.5:1
- Horsepower: 170 @ 5700 rpm
- Torque: 177 @ 4250 rpm
- Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
- Fuel economy, EPA est.: 22/31 mpg city/highway
- Fuel economy, observed: 24.5 mpg
- Suspension, front/rear: strut-type / multilink
- Wheels: 17-inch alloy
- Tires: 215/55R17
- Brakes: 4-wheel disc; 12.3-inch dia. front/10.7-inch dia. rear
- Steering: hydraulic power rack-and-pinion
- Turning circle: 36.4 ft.
- Wheelbase: 110.4 in.
- Length: 191.6 in.
- Height: 58.5 in.
- Width: 72.2 in.
- Curb weight: 3,221 lbs
- Trunk volume: 15.9 cu. ft.
- Fuel tank: 18.5 gal.
- Airbags: Front, front side, side curtain
- Anti-lock brakes: Yes Traction control: Yes Stability control: Yes Electronic brake-force distribution: No Brake assist: Yes
- Other: VW Intelligent Crash Response System (automatically unlocks the doors, shuts off the fuel pump, and turns on the hazard warning lights)
Warranty: 3-year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper; 3-year/36,000 mile powertrain; 3-year/36,000-mile scheduled service